What Is Turmeric?
Turmeric is a rhizomatous herbaceous perennial flowering plant of the ginger family known as Zingiberaceae. When they have to be used but not fresh, they are boiled for about 30 -45 minutes and then are dried in a hot oven. Then they are grounded into thin powder or deep orange color. This powder is generally used as a coloring or flavoring agent in cuisines.
The turmeric powder has a bitter, warm and pepper-like flavor. Its aroma is that of earthy and mustard-like.
Although the root of turmeric, curcumin is also used for medicinal purposes. Turmeric powder is used for curing arthritis, pain in joints and stomach and many other diseases. Curcumin is the main agent of turmeric which actually cures everything and is responsible for the health benefits of turmeric.
- Positive side effects of turmeric
- Negative turmeric side effects
- Does turmeric interact with medicines?
- What is the preferred quantity of turmeric to be consumed?
- Turmeric weight loss
- How to use turmeric in weight loss process?
- Turmeric side effects for skin
- Positive side effects of Turmeric
In addition to acting as a coloring agent, there are many beneficial turmeric side effects. Its main ingredient knows as curcumin provides the following benefits:
- Reduces inflammation: turmeric side effects include that turmeric reduces inflammation. It reduces the aggravation felt by people suffering from arthritis in joints. Turmeric curcumin reduces the levels of inflammatory makers.
- Relief to pain: turmeric is considered to be a great pain reliever. It’s well known for pain caused due to arthritis.
- Enables proper functioning of the liver: turmeric has been popular because of its antioxidant properties. It prevents the liver from getting damaged by toxins. This is beneficial for those persons who consume strong medicines as a cure for diabetes. These medicines may hurt their livers because of long-term use.
- Reducing the risk of cancer: major turmeric curcumin side effects involve helps in reducing the risk of cancer. It is really beneficial in treating cancer. Majorly it has proven beneficial in the treatment of pancreatic cancer, prostate cancer, and multiple myeloma.
- Enables easy digestion: improves digestion of food in which it is incorporated. It is a great element to be included in food as it enables healthy digestion because of its properties such as it is anti-inflammatory and consists of antioxidants. It is widely used in ayurvedic medicines.
- Improves the functioning of blood vessels: it allows for proper dilation of blood vessels as a result blood pressure reduces and blood flow increases.
- Prevents heart attack: because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it reduces the risk of heart attack in people.
- Reduces cholesterol: consuming turmeric twice a day for 3 months helps in reducing cholesterol level as well as triglycerides in obese people having high cholesterol.
Negative turmeric side effects
Although there are positive turmeric side effects which are really beneficial for the human body, there are certain negative side effects of turmeric. These are:
- Increases the flow of bleeding: turmeric side effects slow the process of blood clotting. This in return increases for people who have bleeding disorders. There are also chances if turmeric interacting with other medicines the person take and may cause excessive bleeding.
- Gastrointestinal problems: high intake of turmeric as a cure for arthritis may also cause gastrointestinal problems. People having problems like dyspepsia and hyperacidity should avoid intake of turmeric. Intake of high dosage of turmeric supplements side effects may also cause problems like heartburn.
- Risk of kidney stones: excess intake of turmeric powder side effects can make the situation of gallbladder worse. Turmeric consists of oxalate which can be a major cause of gallstones. It binds calcium which forms insoluble calcium oxalate which is the main reason for kidney stones.
- Not suitable for pregnant and breastfeeding women’s: it is advisable for pregnant women’s not to take much quantity of turmeric. It can promote the menstrual period which can prove to be a major risk during pregnancy.
- Can make your blood thin: the main ingredient of turmeric, curcumin reduces the platelet function and thus turmeric should not be consumed by those who are on medications for blood thinning.
- Can be allergic: curcumin can be allergic to some people. Since turmeric belongs to the ginger family, there are chances that people allergic to ginger can be allergic to turmeric as well.
Does turmeric interact with medicines?
Yes, turmeric does interact with some kinds of medications. Thus, it is preferred not to consume turmeric during taking these medications:
- Medications that are changed by the liver: various types of medications are broken down by the liver. Turmeric slows down the process of breaking of these medications by the liver. This may increase the side effects of the medications.
- Medications taken for curing diabetes: people suffering from type 2 diabetes should avoid consuming turmeric as it reduces the level of blood sugar in the body. The medicines also decrease the level of blood sugar. Thus consuming both the things altogether may cause blood sugar level to be too low.
- Medications used for slowing blood clotting: turmeric also reduces blood clotting. Thus taking medicines to reduce blood clotting along with turmeric may cause bleeding and bruising.
What is the preferred quantity of turmeric to be consumed?
Although there are negative side effects of turmeric, its health benefits cannot be overlooked. Consuming the right amount of turmeric is the best option. Following are some of the quantities of different forms of turmeric that should be consumed:
- 1.5 grams – 2.5 grams of the powdered dry root is preferable every day.
- Standardized powder should be consumed 1.2 -1.8 grams every day.
- Preparing turmeric tea with 15 grams of turmeric root in boiling water can be taken twice a day.
Turmeric weight loss
Turmeric in weight loss is a cost-effective way to reduce weight without causing any harm to your body. There are lots of turmeric weight loss success stories which depict how turmeric has proved beneficial in losing weight.
Low- grade metabolic inflammation is the main reason for weight gain. Turmeric consists of curcumin which possesses anti-inflammatory properties as well as anti-obesity properties. Because of these properties, the adipose tissue inflammation is suppressed. Thus turmeric in weight loss is a great measure to lose weight.
Another reason of turmeric weight loss benefits could be as sugar levels are controlled by turmeric as well insulin resistance is prevented because of turmeric. This, as a result, does not allow extra fat to be retained in the human body. Generally, obese people are vulnerable to diabetes, thus turmeric in weight loss can help them prevent this disease as well as reduce weight.
Bile is a juice which is famous for emulsifying fat and its related metabolism in human body. Consuming turmeric in weight loss increases the level of bile in the stomach. This could be another turmeric weight loss benefit that can be taken by obese people.
How to use turmeric in the weight loss process?
Having known about the turmeric weight loss benefits, now let’s learn how to actually use turmeric in weight loss.
Turmeric weight loss tea along with cinnamon
This turmeric weight loss drink is really beneficial for those who prefer using homemade techniques for losing weight. The recipe of turmeric weight loss tea involves first pouring a cup of water into a saucepan and adding cinnamon powder. Then you need to boil the water until it is half in quantity. After it gets cold add turmeric and mint paste to it. Your turmeric weight loss tea is ready. You can even drain it before drinking.
Positive side effects of turmeric milk
Turmeric milk is the easiest turmeric weight loss drink to prepare. You just need to make the milk warm for several minutes on the flame and then add turmeric powder to the milk.
Turmeric ginger tea for weight loss
Ginger has several properties like its anti-flatulent, reduces bad cholesterol as well as gastroprotective qualities. Thus drinking turmeric ginger tea for weight loss is a great alternative to using turmeric in weight loss. Turmeric weight loss recipe for this drink involves first adding ginger and turmeric to boiling water and then letting it come down to room temperature. When the drink is cool, strain it and drink it regularly to observe turmeric ginger tea side effects.
Turmeric side effects for skin
Turmeric in addition to its health benefits comprises of lots of benefits for your skin as well. Turmeric side effects on skin consist of following benefits:
Enhances your natural glow
The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric adds to the glow and luster of your skin. It makes your skin look much brighter and glowing. The anti-oxidants present in turmeric helps in reviving the skin and brings out the natural glow of the skin. Using turmeric mask can prove to be a great option to make your skin look fresh and glowing. Thus this a positive turmeric side effect for the skin.
Helps in healing wounds
The curcumin, the main ingredient of turmeric helps in healing your wounds. It reduces inflammation and oxidation, thus cures your wounds. In addition to this, it also reduces the level of response your body provides to cutaneous wounds. Thus this a positive turmeric side effect for the skin.
Helps in curing acne problem
Using turmeric facial mask is a great solution to deal with acne problems as well as for treating the scars it leaves on the skin. Turmeric consists of anti-inflammatory properties which make your pores and skin calm.
Used during treatment of scabies
Scabies is caused due to microscopic mites that causes rashes on the human skin. Turmeric along with neem has proven to be a great solution for treating scabies.
Helping hand in dermatological conditions
Turmeric is a great solution for various skin problems. This includes curing problems like eczema, lichen planus, and various other skin
|Also Check||Links Below|
|1. How To Use Face Wash|
2. When To Use Face Wash Etc
|Best Face Wash|
|Best Face Wash For Men With Oily Skin||Best Face Wash For Men|
|Best Face Wash For Women In India||Best Face Wash For Women|
|Best Face Wash For Fairness and Pimples||Best Face wash for fairness and pimples|
|Best Face Scrub For Oily Skin||Best Face Scrub|
|Garnier Mens Face Wash Reviews||Garnier Face Wash Reviews|
|Best Make Up Foundation||Best Make up foundation for Summer|
|Best Facial Kits Online||Best Facial Kits Online|
|Garnier Face Wash For Womens Reviews||Garnier face wash for womens reviews|
|Bye Bye Foundation Reviews||Bye Bye Foundation Reviews|